No more plastic straws!
We’re pleased to announce that as group, Brend Hotels is taking steps to be single-use plastic free across our hotels and restaurants in Devon & Cornwall. We will no longer purchase plastic straws, we have made a commitment to phasing them out and instead we will offer compostable straws made from plants not plastic from visionary packaging brand Vegware when our current stock runs out. We are also looking to reduce other single use plastics across our hotels and restaurants.
As a group we have been working behind the scenes for years to find ways to run our businesses sustainably and reduce our environmental impact as we are passionate about our beautiful surroundings.
What we are doing?
• Diverted 80% of our waste from landfill & all of our hotels recycle metal, glass, plastic, card and paper. Almost all our waste is recycled or re-used.
• All food waste is collected and converted into electricity at a local power plant in Devon.
• Reduced our total energy use and Co2 emissions by 15% since 2006 by making common sense changes such as lighting and boiler upgrades, insulation and oil to gas projects.
• Reduced our carbon emissions by an estimated 6000 tonnes and are conducting a comprehensive review of our carbon footprint across all parts of the business, so we can be even more efficient.
• We buy as much of our fish, meat, cheese and vegetables from local suppliers as possible, helping to support local farmers as well as cutting down on unnecessary food miles.
• We use low energy LED lights.
• Solar power installation at the Barnstaple Hotel that reduces our day time use. Saunton Sands Hotel is now functioning on 70% renewable energy with our Biomass woodchip boiler, installed in March 2013.
• We have our own Environmental Action Plan for each hotel, which is constantly reviewed and updated.
• Sustainable tourism - We were thrilled to be finalists in the 2007 Devon Environmental Business Awards (DEBI), 2009 International Silver ‘Green Apple’ award winners and 2011 Cornwall Sustainability Awards finalists.
• We have our own full-time environmental team that work to co-ordinate our Resource Management Teams, drive initiatives and continually monitor our energy use with AMR- an online automated metering and monitoring system.
Find out how you can help reduce your environmental impact when staying with us here.
Find out how you can take steps to stop the use of single-use plastics in everyday life with the Surfers Against Sewage campaign.